Sunday, January 5, 2014

A New Year, A Fresh Start

Nothing momentous happened to me during the last year. Other than qualifying for medicare (a milestone I didn't celebrate in any significant way) it was a rather boring year. Oh, I did get several projects around the house done and we had a nice family vacation with all the kids & grandkids in June. But there wasn't any real standout event during the year. Sometime around May, I lost my interest in quilting. I don't really know why except that I wasn't finding a lot of inspiration. Many of my favorite bloggers were not posting much & when they did, it was mostly about vacations, family pets, or moving to a new house. I enjoy reading about those things but what I wasn't finding was inspiration to keep making quilts. So I took a break.

I have been sewing but mostly clothes. Teeny, tiny clothes for my youngest grandkids and their dolls.


It's a new year and I'm feeling inspired to get back to quilting. Our oldest grandson, Bryan, and his lovely lady Lexie will present us with our first great-grandchild in April. Maybe that's what has me interested in making quilts again. Using the blocks from an exchange last year organized by Nancy I have the top all ready done.

The quilt that inspired mine, along with directions to create the little people, can be found here. I only used half of my exchange blocks so I can make a second one when another great grandchild shows up!

7 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Love the look of your blog. And the quilt is darling. Great Grandbaby - how lucky can you be. I'm "just past" medicare age and my oldest grandson is only 12 - so I have a long wait ahead of me.

I lost my desire to quilt - COMPLETELY - in July 2012 - and it never came back - and I don't think it will, but I'm really happy doing other things - crocheting a round tablecloth - making American Girl doll clothes - etc.

Enjoy your quilting.

Finn said...

Hi Julie, good to see you posting again! Can't scold since I've been among the missing also. Love your little people quilt! I haven't checked your link, but it reminds me of Lynn's quilt from last year. I wrote down the basic measurements but never made any..sound familiar? Hopefully this year will see me with some much needed enthusiam again. Hugs, Finn

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Those itty bitt clothes are just precious; and the quilt is simply amazing, I love it! Congrats on the new family member!! :)

Purple Pam said...

An absolute darling quilt for your first great grandchild. I understand about losing the quilting bug. I have not lost mine exactly, but have not found time to do much quilting lately.

AnnieO said...

Hi Julie!!!! Glad you spent your off-blog time sewing, anyway! Love your new quilt, so bright and cheerful. Happy New Year!

Lindy said...

Hey Julie, so glad to see you posting again - you have inspired me to get back to my long-abandoned blog! Love the table runner!

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

LOVE your quilt! And I see some of MY people in it!