Friday, April 12, 2013

Just Messing Around

I lost my momentum when the weather turned nasty. I was in the mood to get a couple more large quilt tops basted. But then it snowed. Spring is fickle around here. One day it's sunny and the birds are chirping and the buds are bursting and then the next day it's freezing and everything is covered in snow. Since I do my basting on the homemade ping pong table out on the deck, the layer of snow (as well as the freezing temperature) put the kibosh on my enthusiasm. So I went to plan B.

Plan B for me is always the same. Start a new project. Awhile ago I discovered the free scrap blocks that Lisa (of Primitive Gatherings) posts on her blog occasionally. They are 6" blocks with lots of teeny, tiny pieces. She has posted 12 so far. I have made 2 but intended to try them all. This week, while the weather kept me inside, I made all 12.




A couple are really challenging. I already knew that from making the one with the 4 little stars. The stars finish at only 2".


I had trouble with this one. See how those brown corners are cut off? Square-in-a-square blocks never turn out well for me.


I really like this one.


I used up a lot of little scraps making these.

I saw a really neat idea at Country Loft when I was there in February. They used a box frame to display  a small block similar to these. It was just stapled over batting. I'm going to display these blocks using that technique. I just need to get hubby to make 12 little frames for me.

The weather looks promising this morning. There are daffodils blooming. Time to get some tomatoes
 planted and some quilts basted.

11 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wow - you amaze me. The blocks in frames would be wonderful. Hope your spring comes along soon. Ours was here yesterday - and today it is 47 and rain.

Crispy said...

I love your idea of framing the blocks. I should start doing that with my orphan blocks :0)

Crispy

Gayle said...

You did SUCH a great job making these tiny little blocks - so much interest in them and great colors too. I'm not sure how I've missed seeing them on Lisa's blog - might have to go on the hunt and find them for myself!

Janet O. said...

I've saved these patterns and planned on doing them as a BOM this year. I haven't made a single one yet! Maybe this will inspire me. You've done a wonderful job!
BTW, my square-in-a-square blocks never work out right, either.

Me and My Stitches said...

I've got all these patterns printed out and haven't made a single one! I think yours look great, and I'm with you on square in a square - not my favorite!

Gale, Ky quilter said...

Those blocks are beautiful! I love scrappy blocks. :)

Quilter Kathy said...

These are beautiful blocks!
Send some spring my way :)

CATHERINE DANIEL said...

Gorgeous little blocks! They will look wonderful all framed up - good luck to your hubby with that little job! Loved visiting you blog. xCathy

AnnieO said...

Those are wonderful! I would not have noticed the cut off corners. Or, I would not admit to it not being a flaw, if I were you! Tiny pieces and I do not really get along well, but you are humming!

Purple Pam said...

Wow! Your blocks are wonderful. Sewing all those small pieces cannot be easy. You did a great job with them. I am with you on the square in a square block. I am not very successful with them either. I have often thought of making the outer triangles a little bigger and then cutting them down to size. But then, I don't like wasting fabric either.

onlinephduk said...

I have remained speechless; you are a very talented person. I can’t even decide which one I like most, they are all so beautiful, and the patterns combine so perfect with the colors, this is what I call art. I guess we have to thank the weather for making you do them.


My Website | Split-Site PhD