Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My Sewing Room

I have put off showing my new sewing room because I want to impress everyone with my tidiness and awesome organization skills. I keep envisioning a photo of my immaculate space with charming touches of creative decor, my newest project all perfectly organized next to my state of the art (or charming vintage) sewing machine. The sewing room I envision has no threads scattered on the floor, no little dog ear snippets that missed the waste basket when tossed in that general vicinity. The ironing board has a pristine hand made cover that magically resists all stains and never has any burn spots, stray threads or patches to cover the rips. And I keep thinking I'll get the window trim finished before I post a picture. That vision, however, exists only in my head. It is not a reality and more than likely never will be. My real sewing room always has thread on everything including me. There are always piles of fabric on every surface. Finishing the window trim has slipped down the list of priorities. When I'm about to take my final breath, I won't be saying to myself, "Darnit. I sure regret not finishing that trim on the windows."

So instead of my imaginary sewing room, here is the real thing, complete with warts.

 This a view when you enter the room.  Ignore the lack of trim on the windows and notice instead the floor that is now covered in actual flooring. Pay no attention to the hunk of old fabric that is safety pinned to the ironing board and instead gaze upward at the wall of cleverly displayed doll quilts. Pretend the surface of my old drafting table is not covered with scraps and strips.

A view to the right shows my creative space. This is where I spend time sewing and blog surfing.

Notice the decorative storage containers cleverly disguised as shopping bags artfully arranged under the desk. I picked up that lovely adjustable clamp on lamp for a song back in 1987. I plan to take it in for appraisal the next time Antiques Road Show comes to my area. The wall above the computer still has plenty of room for a few more little quilts so I'd better grab a couple of those lettuce tubs full of scraps and do some web surfing for inspiration. I failed to get a good shot of the rug I made that I put under my roll around desk chair. It is my piece de resistance. It pulls the whole room together. I'll show it next time.

28 comments:

Debra @ Life is a Stitch said...

Your room is Superb!!! and you're right about the window treatments -
there are more important things to be doing!
You did forget to mention the view you have outside your sewing room window, though...
It's like my view - downed branches and stuff I could pick up if I only took the time from quilting!!! Ha Thanks for sharing - I absolutely love it and your attitude! Happy Stitching!

Wendy said...

Your room is the prefect quilters room, if it was mine the space under the cutting table would be full of fabric storage. Love all the little quilts on the walls.

Kristie said...

Oh I love it! I would love to dig in those piles of fabric! It looks like a well used and loved sewing space. I do know how you feel though. Just moving in our UNFINISHED house back in the middle of January, my sewing room doesn't have the flooring down, window trim, baseboards, or any of that stuff. I often stress over piles of fabrics and lack of storage space. I have the space (the room is 20x24ft) but I just don't have shelving or storage cabinets, stuff like that. Even though I wish it were finished I am just happy that I have a room to sew in, before I had to sew at my kitchen table....that was a mess!

Have a wonderful and Blessed day
Kristie

Darlene said...

I love it! I don't see any messy areas just happiness. I love your creative storage - the bag placed under your computer adds a touch of class (I have something similar so I know for a fact it's classy - LOL) The bits and pieces of fabric on your cutting table show that you have good taste in fabric (I have similar bits and pieces - I do have good taste in fabric) No window treatments because you enjoy natural light. Enjoy your space.

I'm quite smitten with the little quilts on your walls.

Lizzie said...

Love your sense of humor! Your quilts are wonderful! Does anything else really matter???

Lizzie

Gayle said...

I'm laughing through your humorous tour of the sewing room - as well as gasping with delight! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all your little quilts on the walls - that is my goal in the next couple of months. You have great light with all those windows! Thanks so much for sharing - maybe I'll get up the nerve to do the same thing one day.

Brenda said...

thanks for the real tour. Creativity is messy, and quilting adds the extra layer of scraps and threads all over the floor. life is too short to have a neat as a pin sewing space.

Karen said...

I think the sewing room pictures with everything perfect are only for the pictures. Creative messy is the reality. I love your new sewing space.

floribunda said...

I loved the tour, Julie! We could be twins, aside from the style of fabrics we collect...

McIrish Annie said...

What a great space you have for making scraps! LOL. seriously, you are one lucky gal. I'm sure this new space will lead to the completion of many UFOS. Fingers crossed!!

bernie said...

I love it all - creativity in action! Thanks for sharing the pics, cause I love to see everyone's sewing spaces. Bernie

Suzy said...

:o)

Tina said...

What an absolute HYSTERICAL crack-up!!! I have a sewing room quite similar and always felt like such a loser because I just couldn't keep it neat and tidy. It's wonderful to know that there are others out there like me...!!! Love, love, love your sewing room!

Exuberant Color said...

you know you just made all of us feel better because it's impossible to keep a 'work' room looking like a 'show' room. Mine looks much worse than yours right now.

Sharon said...

If it was perfect and magazine picture ready, I wouldn't believe you created in it. Sometimes the best ideas come from just messing around. ps, I have the same window treatment in my sewing room!

Ruth said...

I have a chair similar to yours, but it is embellished with strips of batting and selvedges. I love your room. I think mine is messier though, so don't feel bad. Joan has been working on cleaning her room up and posted some pictures. Is this a trend - the pictures, I mean?

Janet O. said...

Looks like a great creative den.
I will not be posting photos of my sewing room, so if it is a trend (as Ruth wondered) I'm okay, because I have never been known as trendy. Messy while creating, yes; trendy, no. : )

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Oh I love it! One of my favorites is the storage totes disguised as shopping bags. Your room is really spectacular and well loved. You are brave to show what the rest of pretend isn't happening in our own studios. Your shows that you love to work there - and the doll quilts are just the right touch - though I am rather fond of the ironing board cover - I must be fond of it - I've had several just like it.

*karendianne. said...

What a great post! I'd submit this one for creativity, quick wit and hilarity!

Kimme said...

Julie you crack me up! I adore your display of small quilts on the wall and your creative solution for storage under your sewing space :-).

Quilt Hollow said...

Great post and so funny. I love it! Love all those quilts too!

Quilter Kathy said...

Fabulous space for creative pursuits! Thanks for sharing it! Just LOVE all the wonderful minis on the walls!

Dawn said...

You have a great sewing space! Thanks so much for sharing the real deal ;-)
Love the littles on the walls too.

Libby said...

It is the perfect space - neat, tidy and orderly is for the non-creative. Yours is the place of great works!

Pokey said...

This room is amazing! It makes me feel like making something! I laughed out loud (it deserved to be spelled out!) at your "storage containers disguised as shopping bags and artfully arranged" area where your feet are supposed to be. Shoot, I bought my bbf Beth a cute Stater Brother's green grocery bag, and she said, "Cool, I wonder what UFO project I'll store in here?" Cracked me up, just like your post. Thank you for the grins. Hey, my dream room is in the same boat, and my "summer- time for organizing" is marching away....
I see your dream, but I see the great space for the creative quilter so-o much more. It also reminds me of the saying,
"A clean house is the sign of a boring housewife".
:-}pokey

Finn said...

thank you for an absolutely delightful post! I sure couldn't have said it better. Love your creative space, it looks comfortable, used and loved. Perfect is highly over rated! I have the empty mushroom containers to match your lettuce containers of scraps! Let's sew! Hugs, Finn

Purple Pam said...

Love the "new room". It is a creative space which is functional as well as fun. Love all the little quilts you have displayed. I wish my room were as open and comfortable as yours is. Love your descriptions of your space. Made me smile. What fun!

Melanie said...

Great Room -- I just see tons of fun...no mess...