Friday, July 20, 2012

It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

When we were getting ready to put the flooring down in my sewing room, I had to empty everything out of the room. I stashed stuff in the dining room, the master bedroom, under the stairs, in the broom closet, under the bed, and everywhere else there was an open space on the floor or a shelf. One very large shopping bag clever recycled container was filled to the brim with selvedge edges.

I'm stingy when I cut off the selvedges. I don't want to waste even an eighth of an inch of usable fabric so I cut them pretty skinny. In the past, when my shopping bag clever recycled container gets full, I have sent the stuff off to any willing recipient who then creates all sorts of clever things like lampshades, tote bags, & even quilts.

I was all set to box up the latest batch of those little edges and send them off to the first taker when I paused....and thought to myself.........I bet I could make something with all that fabric. Let's see..................I don't need more tote bags. I don't have any desire to make a selvedge coat or skirt or vest. I certainly don't need to start another quilt since I have at least 15 in various stages already. So, how about a throw rug for my new floor in the sewing room? Sounds plausible. I'll just pull out some old ugly fabric from my stash to use as a foundation/back and sew all those yards & yards of selvedge edges down until I have a nice big square. Then I'll bind the edge and VOILA...a rug.


Now, be honest. Is this not the finishing touch to my sewing room redo?

29 comments:

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

perfect!! And pretty too!

Karen said...

I want one! I have selvedges stashed but I don't know if enough for something like this. Did you put batting inside or just a base fabric to build on? And are you worried about slipping on it on your wood floor?

Janet O. said...

This is sew cool!
I love it, Julie. Aren't you the clever one!

*karendianne. said...

Your creativity is HOT!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Well aren't you the clever one!?! That is so neat.

~Joan said...

That. is. amazing!!

Kudos to YOU...

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love it! I want to do that when I redo my sewing room! Blessings, Marlene

Kristie said...

Oh my gosh! I love it! How long did that take you to make it? I never save those pieces but now I'm thinking I may have to start.

Have a wonderful and Blessed day!
Kristie

Sharon said...

OMG, this is fabulous! I LOVE it, please share how long it took you to make this. Please tell me days, weeks, months, so I don't head to my sewing room and start digging out my selvages.....

Gayle said...

Too cool for words! I've never been a fan of all the selvage projects, but this is the funnest one I've seen! Woot, woot!

AnnieO said...

It looks wonderful! Definitely the piece de resistance for your new sewing room. Congratulations on finding a use for those! I confess to throwing away selvages...

floribunda said...

oh, how very cool that is! you're going to have us all running to our stashes with a rotary cutter to create our own versions! How about a tutorial?

Quilt Hollow said...

Neat idea!

Quilter Kathy said...

It's fabulous! Love how it looks and that it is made with "quilter's garbage" is soooo COOL! Congrats on this creative masterpiece!

McIrish Annie said...

Excellent use and super cute!

Vic in NH said...

Thank you for the invitation into your beautiful sewing space with its wonderful new rug. I love the natural light that you get there, too.

Debra @ Life is a Stitch said...

I like it!!, No, I love it!!!
It's perfect!

Finn said...

it just couldn't be more perfect for you sewing room!! You are hot with ideas girl! It's awesome, love the strip running down and the binding really sets off the selvedges perfectly. Hugs, Finn

Libby said...

Perfect! There was NEVER a better quilt room rug *s*

Melanie said...

Super Slick! What a great finishng touch... Moral of the story... Quilters are about not wasting.

Purple Pam said...

Yes, it is the finishin touch for your reno sewing room. I usually send my selveges to a friend. Looking at your piece, I realize that is a LOT of selvedge strips which equates to a LOT of fabric. Way to go girlfriend! Way cool!

Sharon said...

That is just the most perfect sewing room rug ever! I love it, Julie. Man, you had a lot of selvages! Super job!

Jeanne said...

I love it! It looks terrific on your new floor.

Fiesta said...

I love it. Will a tutorial be forthcoming?

Barb said...

I LOVE IT!

mischy said...

That's a great idea for a rug. Very clever and indigenous. Job well done.
airport transfer

Selvage Quilter said...

Wow, it looks awesome! I love it.

belarmina said...

su blog es muy guapo, y la alfombra preciosa, seguiré en el blog con su permiso, saludos

beth said...

Amazing rug! THe way you describe making it sounds like it might be thin. ARe there only the two layers?