Saturday, March 31, 2012

Paying to Play

It seems that copyrights and the lawyers have once more upset the giant internet quilt guild. Because of the stuff I've been reading on various blogs, I've given up on Pinterest. I never really understood what the appeal was anyway. Unless, of course, you are someone with a product you want to push. Using it as a sort of file cabinet or bulletin board to save stuff that you like is sort of a waste of time. I already snag pictures and bookmark websites all the time, I don't need another social sharing venue to spend endless hours of wasted time. Then there is the new threat of copyright infringement rearing it's ugly head. I figured it would show up eventually. There are plenty of people out in the quilt world that are perfectly happy to share their ideas freely so I don't need to rile any of the capitalists that think they are entitled to a cut of the action when they tweek a 85 year old block design. Mind you, I make every effort to always give credit to quilters that inspire me. You would think that the free publicity given to pattern designers and quilt related products on Pinterest would be appreciated by the folks with commercial enterprises. But I am wary, so I have opted out of participating.

For some folks, it's all about the money to be made. But plenty of talented quilters not only design patterns and fabrics for financial gain but they offer lots of free stuff, too. We all know who these generous people are, people like Bonnie Hunter and Judy Laquidara and Marcie Patch just to name a few. Even quilt stores offer free patterns online like Temecula Quilt Co. I will make every effort to support the designers and shops that foster the spirit of quilters through time, sharing and encouraging the craft.

One very generous quilter is Lynn who has gone to a lot of effort to post detailed instructions to make the darling quilt she calls Extravagant Welcome.  Today, while the snow came down steadily outside, I tried to design a little geisha girl to join the other little people for this quilt.

I'm not entirely satisfied with her. I really wanted to use that background fabric but her face & hands don't show up very well. I may have to dig in the stash some more and come up with either a new background or new body parts. Either way, I guarantee you this is my own original design and it is totally free to one and all should anyone want to use the idea. I promise I won't sue.

9 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Good for you - and that is a darling pattern. I think the suggestion of hands and face show quite well. The kimono fabric is just perfect.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Libby said...

You can't reinvent the wheel nor can you reinvent the 9 patch - though there are those that believe each is possible *s* I just stay in my little corner and try to mind my own business.

AnnieO said...

Your geisha is adorable!

I am another who didn't join in on Pinterest--being quite capable of spending far too much time wandering about on my own without looking at others' pin boards--but I can understand the appeal. It is interesting also to see what has been pinned from my little blog! Anyway, I think the CopyRighters have some legitimate beefs in specific cases, but otherwise this sue-happy land we live in can be a perplexing and unfriendly place. Luckily there are many many more of us sharing and crafting happily in our little corners--glad you are one of them :)

Janet O. said...

I love your little geisha! Very nice job. She makes me smile! : )
I have managed to stay a keyboard's length away from Pinterest.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I have found the whole situation about copyright in the quilting world quite fascinating. Leah from 365 Quilting Designs has just written a wonderful post addressing the issue as well as including a thought provoking TED talk about copyright in the fashion industry. If you get a chance it is worth seeing http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/copyright-terrorism.html

Having seeing that I think the quilting world needs to readjust and get its ego in check :o)

Lynda said...

It's like many issues - there is a middle ground. If you write a book or publish a design, then obviously it's your copyright, but if you post it on a blog, then surely you've displayed it to all and sundry! Some people need to make a living from quilting, and we should respect that, but at the same time, I agree with Libby - you can't claim fees for designing a 9 patch!

Purple Pam said...

Your little geisha girl is so cute. Love it, love it, love it!

Lynn Dykstra said...

She is so cute! Love the orange