Sunday, February 19, 2012

Books, Movies & TV

I am still handicapped with non picture posts while using my handy dandy little Kindle Fire gadget. So far I am finding it a perfectly suitable substitute over more costly alternatives. I have been able to check my email, check on my friends at Facebook, and keep up reading all the new blog news. I have even watched a few episodes of Downtown Abbey at Netflix & PBS. Sometimes it doesn't stream very well since the WIFi isn't the best in this area but it's free so I really can't complain. I watched a new to me BBC series called Land Girls while I sewed today. I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of British TV. Most kindle owners use it for reading. And I've been reading quite a lot, too. I tackled the Hunger Games series since a friend recommended them. They are an interesting take on a future world with a sort of cross between the Roman gladiator entertainment & the sacrificial virgin to save society from collapsing into chaos deal. Not really my cup of tea but I'll admit I read it all just to find out how it ends. I've given up on the free kindle books. After reading a couple of them it I realized why they are free. You definitely get what you might expect from a book that is free. A really well written book is Room but I'll warn you it is painful to read. Something a little lighter but also enjoyable is The School of Essential Ingredients. I'm not all that wrapped up in Downtown Abby either. I loved the first season but it has gotten a bit too soap opera-ish at this point. Two really excellent British period productions to seek out on Netflix are The Duchess, based on a true historical figure, and The Duchess of Duke Street. Regular American network TV is so mediocre in comparison. In my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

5 comments:

floribunda said...

I loved "Room" and like "the School of Essential Ingredients", too. I read another book by that author but it was too similar, though...

Gayle said...

Just found your blog and have LOVED reading back through your older posts! We like the same kind of quilts! Thanks for the titles of books and TV shows. I want to check them out now...

Where in No. Calif are you? I live in Utah, but I'm headed to Sacramento later this week to visit family.

nice to meet you........

Stephanie D. said...

I have downloaded lots of the freebies from Amazon on my Kindle, and most of them are self-published--with no editing, apparently. Some I can get through, some I can't. I do try to read them, though, so I can comment on them at Amazon's site. Sometimes the author has a good idea, but didn't execute it well, and I hope my opinion/constructive criticism can help the author sharpen his or her skills.

Others I just delete from the Kindle and then from the archives. Now and then one of the freebies is marked down from 12.99 or 14.95 or something, so I know it's not self-published, and it turns out to be a pretty good read. But even the higher-priced ones can be a waste of time.

Room was one of the first books I downloaded--at full price. You're right, there were times when I just had to put it down for a bit, but it was an excellent book.

Sharon said...

I agree with you about regular American TV. Boring and predictable. All those reality shows make me gag. I LOVE British TV. Most of it is witty, funny, engaging, and much more intelligent than American programs. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll go take a look.

Libby said...

Haven't jumped on the Downton bandwagon . . . . yet. Around here we watch a LOT of crap but it's fun, so I'm going to carry on *s*